When you wake up on a Saturday at 1:30pm and you're probably malnourished and your brain hurts, and you have to take antibiotics with food and somehow muster enough energy wash your sheets, quesadilla is here.
The whole ordeal takes about 10 minutes. I am a vegetarian by default when I'm tired and this is no exception, but I have made these on more effortful days with leftover rotisserie chicken and they are A+.
Effortful time: 6 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1 can/box black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- A few cracks black pepper
- Tiny bit of salt
- Shredded cheese of your choice (I use cheddar-asadero)
- Hot sauce, if you're into that
- Drain and rinse the beans. Put them in a bowl and add the spices (I eyeballed them all. It's not hard but I made up measurements for directional purposes. The most important one is cumin; that's what makes Mexican seasoning pouches taste distinctive). Microwave this for 2 minutes on HALF power.
- Heat a tortilla in a frying pan. Add half the bean mixture and a heap of cheese. Fold the tortilla over and press down.
- Remove. Chop. Repeat with additional tortilla.
- Pick out an awesome hot sauce.
- Realize, with sadness, that episodes of South Park that were hilarious at 14 are just not funny anymore now that a decade has passed and you are a different person.